Friday, February 6, 2009

Slow Cooked Pinto Beans

I have been informed that not everyone cooks their own beans. I have always made my own pot of pinto beans with my fresh made corn bread and fried potatoes, so I couldnt believe this but I guess its true. So here is how to do it.

Wash you a pd bag of beans. Make sure you get all the rocks out (yes fresh beans that dont come canned do have rocks in them from time to time.)

Put your beans over in a good crock pot... you need one that gets hot enough to boil these, you dont want the soup to taste yucky.

Put about 2 tablespoons shortening in the beans along with water to fill it up to the top. Salt and pepper, and be giving with the seasoning, if you dont the beans are not going to taste good.

Cover and let cook for a few hours, make sure you keep them filled with water, or they will burn.

Once they start boiling good, and you see the soup has turned brown, and the beans have swelled all the way up, uncover them, and let them cook like that. That makes your soup get nice and thick, and gives the beans a much better flavor. Be attentive to them, keep them stired up good, so they get thick.
Serve with corn bread ( I have a recipe for this on here) and fried potatoes and maybe even some kraut and weiners. Yummy good, straight from the south supper. Hope you enjoy these!!

No comments:

Post a Comment