Saturday, February 28, 2009

Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits(part 1)

I am going to have to do two posts for this, because it won't allow me to upload all the pics needed to one post. so heres the first part.

Okay so I do not normally use a recipe for these, they are just kinda hit and miss, once you get it down to pat, you wont need a recipe, but to start it out for my friend that requested the recipe here ya go...


Okay First off get a cake pan a grease it with shortening.
I take about 5 cups of flour and put it in a big bowl... now hollow out the center of it, like your making a well in it... leave a little flour on the bottom of the bowl, but make a hole in the center of your flour.










Now take about one good size serving spoon and scoop ya up some shortening and put in the hole in the flour.









Now your going to slowly start adding in a little bit of buttermilk into the same hole as the shortening. just a little at first (also if you dont have butter milk, no big deal, use regular milk, cream, or just water ) you want to work your milk in with your shortening for a little while, then slowly start pulling in some flour from the sides and work it in with the milk/shortening mixture. Do not get it to stiff, you want it to stay sticky. Keep pulling flour in and working it, and then adding ya a little more water or milk until you get a good size ball of dough.









Okay have to go to second post for the rest of it... sorry guys

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this one too. And for also putting the substitute for buttermilk in there.. it's something I hardly ever get. It's funny but that was something my Mimi ALWAYS had on hand, my mom Sometimes has it, and I never do. However, I will make a special trip for it to make sure my first attempts at these will be successful. thank you =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well hun I sure hope you guys enjoy them.. do not get discouraged if they do not turn out "perfect" the first time.. it takes time. Also if you do not want to buy buttermilk you can make your own Take a cup of regular milk, put in a tsp of lemon juice or vinegar, and wait 5 minutes, then stir it up.. you have a homemade version of buttermilk, and works just as good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! that's great.. b/c I have all those things here already..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buscuit and chocolate gravy day today!!!!!!!! I will let you know how it goes

    ReplyDelete