Thursday, February 26, 2009

What kinda cook are you?

I often wonder, how do other people cook.. are they like me and can cook the normal stuff without recipes, and then the stuff they make, but not often, have to have recipes for.

I can cook my mac and cheese, potatoes, gravy, biscuits and such without a recipe at all... just throw it together, no biggie..but when it comes to my pies and cakes, my meatballs, anything "special" I best have the recipe handy. Not to tell me what to do with it, just what goes in it, I can remember how to put it all together, just not what to put in to put it together.. So my question to you is this...

Can you look at a recipe once, use it, tweek it, and then make the stuff over and over without the recipe?

Can you create awesome meals outta your head just from stuff in the cubbord?

Can you cook the old fashion stuff that people pay big money at The Cracker Barrel to get?

Just courious since most of my friends are all from or have lived in East Tennessee, just wonder how they are in the kitchen.

2 comments:

  1. oh girl.. I am still in "learing" mode--even after 8 years of marriage. I think b/c the first five was just Sam and me, I just made the basics (mainly b/c my mom worked all the time and would always make the basics--very good basics, but she just didn't have the time). Now, my mom in law is a fabulous cook, but then again, she works constantly. And so here I am, now with a child, who I want to one day use the phrase, "that's not how momma made it", and just now trying to learn more. I have started to print off your recipes, and I put them in a 3 ring binder. My goal is to try a new one every week (or two) depending on the week. This week (either on Friday or Saturday) are those yummy biscuits...
    sorry for the long ramble. It's been a long winter trapped indoors. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hun you will be a wonderful momma in your little ones eyes no matter how you make it. My step daughter told me once when she was 8 how great her momma cooked, I said really what does she make that you really really like the best, she said frito chili pies. Me being curious asks, what does she do that makes them so good? Jayme says, "She opens a can of chili, puts its over the fritos then puts cheese on top", then she says mmmm mmm, its sooo good, lol. So see, you do not have to be a "betty Crocker" to impress that little guy.

    ReplyDelete